THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Job Description for Maintenance Worker I
Performs a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City water, sewer, street, and storm drainage facilities and systems.
Works under the immediate supervision of the Public Works Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects and/or repairs chlorine machine, booster pumping stations, reservoir, meters, streets, drainage systems and sewer system at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance and services activity, water supply, consumption, etc.
- Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Responds to complaints regarding water leaks, pressure loss or no water; evaluates situation; explains findings to supervisor.
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel and sand.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and makes needed repairs
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and backfilling.
- Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains, pipe, gates and fittings on repair of mains and services and installation of services, fire hydrants and drinking fountains; assists in shutting off broken sections of water mains.
- Services water supply, sewer lift and other pumps.
- Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the water, sewer and Streets Department.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent, and any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
- Skill in operation of some of the listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time;
- Ability to work safely;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public;
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Valid State Driver’s license.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including, pickup truck, utility truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a completed Polk City Employment Application, Resume and any supporting documentation to Polk City, Sheandolen Dunn, Human Resources, 123 Broadway Boulevard SE, Polk City, FL 33868 (863-984-1375, ext. 238 or Sheandolen.firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications may also be obtained from City Hall or by visiting the City’s website (www.mypolkcity.org).
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Polk City is an Equal Opportunity Employer