Position: Public Works Director
Department: Public Works
Employment Type: Full Time
Accountable to: City Manager
Under the direction of City Manager; plans and coordinates functions related to Public facilities, including Water and Wastewater, Stormwater, Parks and Streets Maintenance and repair; and assists with the related duties and operation of the departmental responsibilities. This position requires extensive field work with the Public Works staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversees, directs and participates in project management for the construction of municipal public works projects, including contractor compliance and budget parameters. Responsible for maintaining regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, local, state and federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding the Public Works Department’s activities and services.
Formulates all work plans, programs, schedules and operating policies related to all Public Works activities. Directs and participates in the selection, placement, promotion, training, safety, discipline and appraisal of all Public Works personnel. Responsible for the preparation and implementation of the department’s annual budget request.
Evaluates the City’s public works needs and makes procedural and operational recommendations to the City Manager.
Responsible for equipment maintenance logs, maintains and updates maps of city street rights –of-way and stormwater management system. Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local laws for stormwater system and prepares reports and oversees regulatory audits of the system. Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local laws for utility systems and prepares reports and oversees regulatory audits of the systems.
Represents the City with other agencies and municipal operations on a wide variety of issues pertaining to department operations. Requires on-call status periodically, and call-out response during weather emergencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles relating to water and wastewater operations and facilities.
- Knowledge of principles relating to parks and City facilities.
- Knowledge of principles relating to streets and stormwater.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local law, codes, and regulations governing the stormwater and street maintenance.
- Knowledge of stormwater requirements and related stormwater certifications for compliance under NPDES.
- Knowledge of FDOT standard specifications for road construction, traffic design standards and safety standards.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in building maintenance.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of supervision, training, and motivation.
- Knowledge of facility planning, construction, operation, maintenance, and safety practices relating to public facilities.
- Knowledge of computer and other office equipment to prepare necessary paperwork.
- Ability to interpret design plans and specifications.
- Ability to analyze maintenance issues and problems, evaluate alternate solutions and develop sound conclusions, recommendations and courses of action.
- Ability to develop clear, concise, and comprehensive technical reports, correspondences and present oral reports as requested regarding the departments operation.
- Ability to exercise sound, expert independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with City Commission, City staff, and the public.
EXPERIENCE and TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education and/or Experience
Graduation from High School or G.E.D. equivalent; graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil, Mechanical or Materials Engineering or closely related field, at least thee years of experience in a management or supervisory level; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses, Certificates, Special Requirements:
- A valid Florida Commercial driver’s license within 6 months as agreed upon with the City Manager.
- Completion of Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic (IMOT) Course as agreed upon with the City Manager.
- Ability to obtain both Water and Wastewater Licenses as agreed upon with the City Manager.
Physical and Mental Demands:
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; smell; reach with hands and arms; stand; talk and hear; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and lift or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with constant interruptions; interact with Town staff and other organizations; and frequently deal with dissatisfied or quarrelsome individuals.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee regularly works outside in various weather conditions and hazardous materials.
Salary range to be determined
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties, as required.)
Polk City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace